Academic Accommodations are only authorized for lecture, online and some lab type classes. Academic accommodations are for the approved student only. Instructors should contact OAS with any concerns.
At times a combination of several accommodations may be utilized to best meet the individual needs of a student. This decision is based on the documentation submitted to OAS, the student's application and their initial meeting with their accessibility specialist.
Additional information about some reasonable accommodations can be found in the navigation to the right.
Obtaining Academic Accommodations
To obtain academic accommodations:
- For the first time complete steps 1 - 4
- If the student has previously been provided academic accommodations by OAS, complete steps 3 and 4 every semester
1. Register with OAS
- Uploading it when completing the online application
- Emailing it to email@example.com
- Faxing it to 304-293-3861
- Bringing it to your initial meeting
2. Meet with an Accessibility Specialist
- Submitted documentation
- Additional documentation, if needed
- Academic history
- Reasonable accommodations
- How to request accommodations (Must be done every semester)
- How to discuss accommodations with the student's instructors (Must be done every semester)
- Any other relevant information
3. Request Accommodations
- Scroll to view the list of their enrolled classes.
- Select Classes
- Place check marks next to each of the courses they are requesting accommodations for.
- Continue to customize their accommodations
- Place a check mark next to the accommodations they are requesting to utilize within each course. Only select the options that will be beneficial in that course.
- Click 'Submit Your Accommodation Request' button.
An accessibility specialist will then approve the requests and email the student and their instructors the Notification of Accommodations email via MIX explaining the student's accommodation needs. Remember that academic accommodations are only authorized for lecture and some lab courses. Academic accommodations are only given for lecture, online, and lab type classes.
4. Implement Accommodations
- Schedule to meet with the appropriate personnel to:
- Verbally request and discuss how accommodations will be implemented (which may take up to a week)
- Go over the Notification of Accommodations email
- Sign and retain the Accommodation Agreement form as confirmation of the meeting
- Sign and retain the Recorded Lecture Agreement Form if recording the lecture as part of a notetaking accommodation
If issues with the implementation of accommodations arise, students should:
- Discuss issue with instructor
- Contact their Accessibility Specialist if the issue is not resolved or additional accommodations are needed