Academic Accommodations are only authorized for lecture, online and some lab type classes. Academic accommodations are for the approved student only. Instructors should contact OAS with any concerns.
At times a combination of several accommodations may be utilized to best meet the individual needs of a student. This decision is based on the documentation submitted to OAS, the student's application and their initial meeting with their accessibility specialist.
Additional information about some reasonable accommodations can be found in the navigation to the right.
Obtaining Academic Accommodations
To obtain academic accommodations:
- For the first time complete steps 1 - 4
- If the student has previously been provided academic accommodations by OAS, complete steps 3 and 4 every semester
1. Register with OAS
- Submit documentation that meets
OAS's stated documentation standards by one of the following methods:
2. Meet with an Accessibility Specialist
OAS will contact the student within two business days to schedule the first meeting with an Accessibility Specialist after the completion of the online application. During an initial meeting, specialists will discuss with the student:
- Submitted documentation
- Additional documentation, if needed
- Academic history
- Reasonable accommodations
- How to request accommodations (Must be done every semester)
- How to discuss accommodations with the student's instructors (Must be done every semester)
- Any other relevant information
3. Request Accommodations
To request authorized accommodations (every semester) students must:
- Log into SAMM with their WVU Login username and password.
- Once in SAMM, student must:
- Scroll to view the list of their enrolled classes.
- Select Classes
- Place check marks next to each of the courses they are requesting accommodations for.
- Continue to customize their accommodations
- Place a check mark next to the accommodations they are requesting to utilize within each course. Only select the options that will be beneficial in that course.
- Click 'Submit Your Accommodation Request' button.
An accessibility specialist will then approve the requests and email the student and their instructors the Notification of Accommodations email via MIX explaining the student's accommodation needs. Remember that academic accommodations are only authorized for lecture and some lab courses. Academic accommodations are only given for lecture, online, and lab type classes.
4. Implement Accommodations
After accommodations are approved, students must:
- Schedule to meet with the appropriate personnel to:
- Verbally request and discuss how accommodations will be implemented (which may take up to a week)
- Go over the Notification of Accommodations email
- Sign and retain the Accommodation Agreement form as confirmation of the meeting
- Sign and retain the Recorded Lecture Agreement Form if recording the lecture as part of a notetaking accommodation
If issues with the implementation of accommodations arise, students should:
- Discuss issue with instructor
- Contact their Accessibility Specialist if the issue is not resolved or additional accommodations are needed
All documentation submitted to OAS is kept separate from an academic record and is considered private under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
There are times when the staff of OAS must share information with other faculty and staff on campus to facilitate accommodations in the classroom, residence halls, or transportation.