Skip to main content

Housing Accommodations

Ensuring equal access to education also means supporting a student’s on-campus experience. Housing accommodations allow students with Disabilities an equal opportunity to fully participate in housing opportunities at WVU and meet program requirements.

Obtaining Housing Accommodations

To receive housing accommodations at any WVU-sponsored property, students must complete the following steps:

  1. Step 1: Apply for Housing

  2. Step 2: Register with OAS

    • Students may register with OAS at any time by completing an online application

If a Housing Accommodation is authorized, OAS will notify the Office of Housing and Residence Life who will then notify the student of the housing arrangement.

Once a student has signed their housing contract and is living within a WVU-sponsored property, the policies and procedures of the Office and Housing and Residence Life apply.

Emotional Support Animals

To better assist students who are requesting that their Emotional Support Animal (ESA) be permitted to live with them in any WVU sponsored property, OAS has developed separate guidelines for ESA’s which are listed below:

Please Note: There are individuals and organizations that sell emotional support animal and/or service animal certification/registration documents online. These documents do not convey any rights under the ADA, and the Department of Justice does not recognize them as proof of an emotional support animal or service animal. There are no official registries or certifications.

Students can submit completed questionnaires and photographs by:

  • Uploading them while completing the  online application
  • Faxing them to 304-293-3861
  • Logging into SAMM with their WVU Login username and password and adding them under Documents

Please be advised that:

  • Emotional Support Animals are not permitted in WVU campus buildings, including but not limited to classrooms, libraries, and the Mountainlair. The only animals permitted inside classrooms and campus buildings are service animals (defined by the ADA as a dog or a miniature horse).
  • Additional guidelines may apply to animals in WVU housing. Municipal, county, and state regulations and licensing requirements also apply, including required dog tax payments under the law:
    • For Morgantown students, dog taxes can be paid at the Monongalia County Courthouse located at 243 High Street.
    • For Keyser students, dog taxes can be paid at the Mineral County Courthouse located at 150 Armstrong Street.
    • For Beckley students, dog taxes can be paid at the Raleigh Country Courthouse located at 215 Main Street.
  • Students must renew housing requests annually.

For more questions about Housing Accommodations and Emotional Support Animals, please visit our FAQ page.