The Office of Accessibility Services (OAS) is excited to announce the opening of the Office of Accessibility Services Testing Center (OASTC). This testing center may be used by students with testing accommodations authorized by the Office of Accessibility Services.
To utilize the testing center instructors must log into their SAMM account to schedule exams. Exam materials can be submitted by uploading them to the exam request in SAMM or by emailing them to OASTesting@mail.wvu.edu. Students will then log into their SAMM account to reserve a time slot. Instructors will receive an email asking them to approve the students requested time slot.
Student ResponsibilitiesStudents utilizing the OAS Testing Center will:
- follow all university and testing center policies and procedures and will conduct themselves professionally, including keeping test contents and materials confidential
- meet with the professor to discuss the details of the testing accommodations within one week of student’s Accessibility Specialist sending the faculty accommodation authorization email
- request testing accommodations through SAMM for their course a minimum of 7 business days in advance of scheduled exam date
- schedule their assessment to be administered on the date/time of the originally scheduled exam unless otherwise approved by the professor
- show up on time for testing:
- If a student arrives late for the exam, the originally scheduled end time will be adhered to and the instructor will be notified of the late arrival
- If a student misses an exam, the testing center must receive written approval from the instructor to reschedule the exam
- bring limited items with them to the testing center and store all personal items inside of a testing center locker
All electronic devices (cell phones, smart watches, earbuds, etc.) must be stored in a testing center locker
- only use those materials authorized by the professor and their accommodations into the testing room
- bring all allowed materials not supplied by the instructor that are to be utilized to take the exam
- bring their WVU ID to all exams
- check their exams and notify testing staff immediately if there is a problem with the exam
- not leave the testing center for any purpose during the exam and will use the restroom within the exam room when needed, as well as the water fountain (all exams end at the originally scheduled exam end time regardless of breaks taken by student)
- will be responsible for requesting and returning any borrowed equipment (timers, headphones, pencils, etc.) to the testing center upon completion of the exam.
- unless specified by their accommodations or approval from the instructor, complete the exam in one sitting without leaving the testing center
- be responsible for following all instructions on the exam, including instruction from the instructor on how to handle questions, and will assume any penalties that may result from misunderstandings and misinterpretations.
- Zoom-based proctored exams: students must have have an active and working webcam and microphone.
- Cell phones, watches, earbuds, or any other electronic devices
- Food or beverages (unless specified by the student’s accommodations)
- Backpacks and purses
Day of Exam
- When checking in, students must swipe their student ID card.
- If a student does not have their personal student ID card, they will not be permitted to take the exam and their instructor will be notified of the need to reschedule the exam.
- Staff members will verify the student’s identity with their student ID. Any student identified using another student’s ID to take the exam will not be permitted to take the exam, and the instructor will be immediately notified.
- The student will be required to lock up any personal belongings in the OASTC lockers prior to being admitted to the exam room. This includes backpacks, purses, phones, watches, jewelry, and any materials not approved to be used on the exam. All electronic devices are to be turned off prior to being stored.
- Student will be notified of their exam end time, materials approved to be used on the exam, and reminded of WVU and OASTC’s policies regarding academic honesty. Student will receive a check in/check out sheet that will also provide detailed information regarding the exam for the students use.
- Students will then be directed toward their assigned seat for the exam and notified of the scheduled exam end time. Light blinking timers are available by student request to assist the student in monitoring their exam time. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that their timer is set to the correct exam length and returning their exam at the scheduled exam end time.
- The student is responsible for returning their exam at their originally scheduled exam end time. All OASTC exam materials and any additional materials used on the exam must be returned to the OASTC staff.
- Faculty should meet with the student to discuss how their alternative testing accommodations will be implemented and determine if they can be implemented without the use of the testing center
Office of Accessibility Services requests that instructors who are able to accommodate their students in their classroom, instructor's office, or at an appropriate alternative location do so rather than using the OAS Testing Center.
- Accommodations requested verbally by a student must be implemented within 7 days of receiving the Notification of Accommodations email
- If deciding to utilize the testing center for the exams, faculty should submit their exam request by using SAMM. Changes and updates to exams need to be made in SAMM as well.
- Faculty should contact the testing center in writing when a make-up exam is needed
- Faculty should submit any changes that need to be made to a testing request on SAMM. Updates can be made up until the day before the exam.
- Faculty should ensure the student has extended time set up through eCampus for online assessments
- Faculty must deliver the exam to the testing center through SAMM, email, or hand delivered with a hard copy a minimum of 3 business days prior to the exam date
- Faculty is responsible for picking up hard copy of the completed exam if they do not wish to receive it through their SAMM account.
Procedures for Scheduling Exams
- The instructor will then submit an exam request through SAMM with detailed information regarding the requested exam no later than 7 days prior to the exam.
- The student will then log into SAMM to schedule their exam time slot.
- Faculty will receive an email asking them to approve the students exam time slot.
- The OAS Testing Center will verify the information received and the student/instructor will receive an exam confirmation email.
- Exams must be delivered to the OASTC a minimum of 3 business days prior to the exam. OASTC is located in room Lower Level 144 of the Downtown Library.
- Faculty may upload the exam to SAMM when completing the exam request form or after the exam form is submitted.
- Exam requests may be submitted without the exam attached and the exam can be attached to the exam request at a later date.
- Faculty can also email the OASTC a copy of the exam to OASTesting@mail.wvu.edu or physically deliver the exam to the OASTC.
- Returning of paper exam materials may take up to three business days.
- If the instructor requested that exam materials be returned electronically, OASTC will scan exam and all exam materials utilized on the exam, including scrap paper or formula sheets, and return the exam to the instructor through SAMM.
- If the instructor has requested to pick up the exam materials from the OASTC, it is the responsibility of the instructor to provide their instructor ID when picking up the exam materials from the OASTC front desk. Faculty will sign for the exam.